Today in Toroa, we explored the questions: What is the best Square It strategy? How do you know? What we are really learning is how to work with others in a mathematical community to solve problems. We are practising communicating our thinking in maths.
Some of the strategies we tested were:
- Create a pattern like a 'T'. No matter where your opponent moves, you can then make a square.
- Start in the middle.
- Aim for a diagonal square.
- Aim to make as large a square as possible.
- Aim for 1x1 square.
- Put lots of dots in a cluster nearby.
- Maybe the best strategy is to be adaptable. - Michael
- When I used the 'T' strategy, I won half of my games. - Holly
- When I used a 2x2 'T' strategy, I won every game. - Freddie
- We need more evidence. - Fi
- Aiming for a big square worked well because it's easy to see small squares, but difficult to visualise large squares. - Myro